Dallas is a great bicycling city. We have several bike trails and multi-use paths in parks and pathways around the community. Riding on the roadways, however, can be dangerous. Motor vehicle drivers engaging in hazardous activities like distracted driving or failing to follow the rules of the road can cause an accident in an instant.
Bicycle accidents can be extremely serious. Their smaller profile and lack of protection can turn even minor accidents into an injurious event. Bicyclists are susceptible to head, musculoskeletal, and spinal cord injuries, all of which can lead to lengthy recovery times and significantly change a person’s life forever.
If you or a family member has been in a serious bicycle accident in Dallas or the surrounding area, the Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert, P.C. may be able to help. We can review your recent accident and search for signs of negligence, such as someone who was texting and driving. Then, we can fight for fair financial compensation on your behalf through an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. Contact us for a free initial consultation today.
Why Choose Us?
- We have a great deal of experience in all areas of personal injury law, including successfully resolving many bicycle accident cases.
- We specialize in personal injury trial law. Aaron A. Herbert is one of only 2% of attorneys with certification from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- We provide personal attention to each client. You will have direct contact with your attorney, not an associate or assistant, at all times during your claim.
- We operate on a contingency fee basis. Our lawyers do not charge for their services unless they secure the client financial compensation. You will pay $0 upfront.
Facing the Aftermath of a Bike Accident
Injured bicyclists may have to take time off of work while juggling increasing medical bills, bike damage bills, and loss of quality of life. For those with catastrophic injuries and the families of deceased victims, the impact of a bicycle accident can last a lifetime.
In addition to dealing with insurance companies that are always looking for the best deal, bicyclists may also face negligent drivers who refuse to face the facts. To get opposing parties to honor a fair settlement claim, a lawsuit may be the only course of action. Negligent drivers and insurance companies may not understand the application of the law in your accident case, and an experienced personal injury attorney can help with so much more than the development of a case.
At the Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert, our team of attorneys can help you find quality medical treatment, pursue a 3rd party investigation of your accident and secure expert witnesses to help clarify the facts of the case, and deal with insurance adjustors on your behalf. The only thing that an accident victim should be concerned with is healing and learning how to cope with any long-term injuries. Don’t let the complex paperwork and logistics after an accident keep you from taking the time to heal. Talk to a trusted attorney to understand your rights in a case and the best course of action for obtaining compensation.
What Causes Bicycle Accidents in Dallas?
Identifying the cause of your bicycle accident is one of the first steps toward obtaining a compensation award in Dallas. Who or what caused your bicycle collision could give you grounds for an injury claim against the at-fault party. In Texas, the civil justice system permits accident victims to seek reparation for someone else’s negligence. You may be eligible for financial recovery depending on the cause of the crash.
- Distracted and dangerous drivers. Negligent and reckless drivers are the most common reason for bicycle accidents in Dallas. Drivers who text and drive, eat and drink behind the wheel, drive drowsy, speed, drive drunk, or ignore pedestrian rights-of-way could be legally responsible for an injured accident victim’s damages.
- Unsafe roadways. It is the government’s legal duty to maintain reasonably safe public roadways, bicycle lanes and sidewalks. Defects such as potholes, loose rubble, malfunctioning traffic lights, obscured signs or dangerous construction zones could contribute to bicycle accidents and injuries. A poorly designed or badly maintained road could point to the city’s liability for related damages.
- Defective bicycles. A bicycle defect such as a broken chain or bad brakes could contribute to a serious and preventable accident. Every manufacturer and bicycle distributor has a legal responsibility to produce safe bikes for consumers. A design, manufacturing or marketing defect that causes an accident could lead to a product liability claim.
If you are not sure what caused your recent bicycle accident, retain a law firm to investigate on your behalf. The Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert works with professional investigators and accident reconstructionists to uncover the truth. Then, we help clients prove another party’s fault using a preponderance of gathered evidence. We may be able to help you hold one or more negligent parties accountable for your damages in Dallas.
When to Call an Attorney
Some injured bicyclists may wait to see how the days after an accident pan out. Waiting to contact an attorney can make a difference in case investigations and can hinder your chances at obtaining the highest amount of compensation. In some cases, a product manufacturer may be to blame for a devastating accident. Understanding the evidence can play a pivotal role in holding the manufacturing company responsible for its role in your injuries.
Contact an attorney before you speak with insurance adjustors to get a free case evaluation. An experienced attorney can provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision about pursuing a case. If you talk to an adjustor first or wait to consult a legal professional, your own statements can work against you in any future cases.
When Bicyclists are Negligent
Under Texas law, if a bicyclist is found to be responsible for 50% or more of an accident, he or she may be unable to obtain any compensation in an accident case. When bicyclists fail to follow the rules of the road by running stop signs, turning quickly into traffic, or riding the wrong way down a one-way street, they are acting negligently. Make sure that you understand the local and state laws for bicycling before you head out on the roadways. Doing so could save your life and prevent a lawsuit aimed at you.
A successful bicycle accident claim in Texas could result in payment for your economic and noneconomic damages. The state of Texas does not cap the amount of damages a bicycle accident victim may receive. With a lawyer’s assistance, you could seek recovery for a range of losses.
- Existing hospital bills
- Future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Lost capacity to earn
- Property damage
The value of your claim will vary according to the specific damages you suffered in the accident. In general, the more serious your injuries, the more your case could be worth. A lawyer can review your case and give you an accurate estimate of damages.
Contact a Dallas Bicycle Accident Attorney Today
A bicycle accident lawyer could make all the difference in the outcome of your case. Do not let an insurance company take advantage of you during settlement negotiations. Hire an attorney to help you combat insurance bad faith and optimize your odds of securing compensation. Contact the attorneys at the Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert for a free case evaluation or to learn more about our approach to personal injury law.