request a free consultation

Dallas Inadequate Lighting Fall Attorney

Slip and fall accidents are very common and can occur in any number of ways. Whether from uneven or broken concrete or inadequate lighting, slip and fall accidents happen hundreds of times each day, often due to irresponsible property owners. These accidents can cause a range of injuries, from mild sprains or bruises to traumatic brain injuries and death.

Injuries After a Slip and Fall Due to Inadequate Lighting

Falls account more than 8 million ER visits every year. More than 12% of these are the result of a slip followed by a fall. Unfortunately, as we age, our risk of falling increases, as does our risk of sustaining severe injuries. In fact, out of all fall-related deaths, 70% of them involved people over the age of 75. Regardless of age, however, injuries from a slip and fall accident can include:

  • Cuts and bruises
  • Sprains
  • Broken or fractured bones
  • Head injuries
  • Traumatic brain or spinal injury
  • Death

Roughly half of all elderly people who sustain a hip injury after a slip and fall accident can’t live independently afterwards. Thus, falls account for 40% of all nursing home admissions. An unsafe property can rob you or a loved one of a better quality of life.

Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents

No one, though, is completely safe from slip and fall accidents, and inadequate lighting, coupled with other fall hazards, are a common cause. Examples of a slip and fall accident waiting to happen include poorly lit stairwells, parking lots, and sidewalks. Furthermore, inadequate lighting can disguise fall hazards like:

  • Torn or loose carpeting
  • Exposed wiring
  • Broken or uneven pavement
  • Potholes
  • Slippery stairs
  • Pathway obstructions

As you can imagine, if you aren’t paying careful attention, have bad eyesight, or walk with an aid, improper lighting can increase your risk of tripping or slipping on hazards.

Inadequate Lighting and Premises Liability

In many cases, a slip and fall accident caused by inadequate lighting is an example of premises liability. In other words, the property owner is most likely liable for your accident. You can hold him or her responsible for paying accident-related expenses. Legally, property owners must make their spaces as safe as possible. This means following common sense rules, like making sure an area is well lit and removing hazards. If you tripped over a broken stair because it was too dark to see, you can almost certainly hold the property owner liable for his or her lack of safety measures.

Claiming Negligence and Damages in a Slip and Fall Case

Texas allows you to collect compensation, even if you were partially responsible for your own accident. Courts call this comparative negligence. This clause states that as long as you’re less than 51% at fault, you can collect compensation based on that percentage. For example, if you are 10% at fault in a $20,000 case, you will collect the remaining 90%.

A personal injury attorney will recover the most compensation possible by supplying evidence to reduce your fault percentage. Additionally, he or she will maximize your total compensation by claiming damages like:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Property damage
  • Pain and suffering

Contact an Expert Premises Liability Attorney in Texas

The Law Firm of Aaron A. Herbert is proud to be part of the 2% of Board Certified Personal Injury attorneys in Texas. Located in Dallas, we have experience in personal injury law and slip and fall cases. In addition to practice skills, we have tried more than 50 cases in front of a judge and jury. In many cases, however, we resolve claims out of court.  We offer effective representation and will fight for the compensation you deserve. We offer a free consultation and there is no fee or expense unless you recover. Contact us today for help with your case.

Client Review

“Second time having Attorney Herbert represent me in an auto accident. I am very satisfied with his service and the firm staff was extremely professional. I highly recommend this law firm.” – Christine Silva